"Would You Let Me See the World Behind Your Eyes?"

"Would You Let Me See the World Behind Your Eyes?"
-- Jon Foreman --

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Why does everyone hate on country?

I love country music. I was raise in a country family, so I was always listening to country music. In the car, my parents would only ever turn the radio to 98.1 (the country station). I've been to a lot of country concerts and I have actually had the opportunity of meeting Brad Paisley, Keith Urban, and Faith Hill. My extended family mainly lives in the south, so growing up I gained the southern manners and got most of my life values from them. I love country music, because it tells a story. It actually has meaning to the singer and most country singers (the true country singers) write their own music. If you look at today's rap and pop music, it's all about drugs, sex, and violence. It doesn't have any meaning to the singer and the singer was most likely given a sheet of music and told to sing it. They took no part in the writing process and don't even really know what they are singing about. Every country song you listen to has a story behind it that the artist can relate to. Right now I'm listening to How Can I Help You Say Goodbye by Patty Loveless. This song is about a girl's journey through life, learning how to say goodbye. You say goodbye a lot through out your life and it never gets easier, but you learn how to deal with it. This song is about Patty Loveless' life. She wrote it and it has sentimental meaning to her. This is what I love about country. You learn about the artist when you hear their songs, not just that they are singing about sex or something pointless like that.

Many kids that say they don't like country are only saying it because they think it is "uncool" to like it. Some people say it is depressing, because country singers only sing about the depressing part of life. Well, this is incorrect. They sing about life in general and if you haven't figured it out yet.. Life isn't perfect! There's depressing things that everyone goes through. Rap is all about sex, drugs, and violence. I don't know about you, but that sounds kind of depressing to me. Country singers sing about real things and real stories that are beneficial to their listeners, not about pointless stuff just to have a good up-beat song. They write and sing music, because it is their passion and they want their stories to be heard, not just to make millions of dollars and be able to call themselves "celebrities".

No comments: